Project “Inclusion of Roma children in preschool education"
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
Unit for implementation of Decade and Strategy for Roma
"Dame Gruev“ 14, 1 000 Skopje
About 459 Roma children are included annually
The main objectives of the project are:
- Increasing the number of Roma attendees (459 Roma - children) in public pre-school on age between 3.8- 5.7 years in 18 municipalities in Macedonia.
- Improving capacities of 908 Roma parents directly for supporting and encouraging development and education of Roma children.
- Improving social skills and proficiency in Macedonian language of 459 Roma children
- Increasing the abilities of teacher and assistants personnel in combating prejudice and stereotypes against Roma
- To raise the public consciousness about the problem with Roma children and to involve authority in the Local municipalities in activities to solving them
- Civil society, including Roma community
- local or regional
The Ministry of Labor and Social Policy is implementing this action/project in cooperation with REF and Local Self Government Units. Other partners are included in the project, such as non-governmental organizations / individuals, Roma teacher assistants and personnel of kindergartens. Enrollment of the children will be based on the field analysis that is made by NGOs. Kindergartens as a partner in the implementation of the project will provide full and supportive environment for inclusion of Roma children in kindergartens under the project objectives. Kindergartens are responsible for day-care of children and providing the implementation of pedagogic - educational program. To enable full integration and easier adaptation of children in kindergartens, MoLSP ensured engagement of 17 Roma teacher assistants. Funds for full-day children stay in kindergartens are provided by the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy, Local Self Government Units and Roma Education Fund.
Expected results (goals and indicators):
What are the keys to success of this action? :
Constant communication between different stakeholders.
Active participation and involvement of parents.
What were the main difficulties encountered?:
The main difficulties were the low level of awareness of Roma parents related to the importance of the preschool education for their children.
What would you recommend to those carrying out a similar action?:
Organizing more workshops with Roma parents whose goal will be raising their awareness of the importance of early childhood education.
- Publication or report